Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Negotiation

This is a great example of negotiating from a Hollywood Mogul to a future Hollywood Mogul. Barry Diller, then a young executive at ABC on his way to running a few studios and, more recently, IAC, was approaching Lew Wasserman, head of MCA/Universal:

"I was purchasing films for ABC from Universal, and I went to his office, and I asked him - I said, given that we are buying sixty-four units at ,$600,000 each, couldn't you cut one little unit off the sixty-four? Two beats. He stared. He said, 'No.' Nothing more. Just, no. Silence. The stare. And I folded like the cheapest tent. But as I got up to go, dejected, knowing the fool that I was, he walked me out and in that very quiet voice of his he said, 'Next time you try this, be prepared to call it off if you don't get what you want. Because, otherwise, you never will.' And the door closed behind him."

-From When Hollywood Had A King by Connie Bruce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Entrepreneur Business Innovation | Startup Business Plan | Teen Entrepreneurs | Entrepreneur's Guide To Business | Real World Business Icons | Climb The Corporate Ladder | Business Resource, Technology & Entrepreneurship Ideas | Personal Career Development | Young Business Blog | Thoughts On Business